Tuesday 23 November 2010

Latest work in progress

Woke up today at 8:30 and had to make this piece in my bedroom. Here it is in the studio. I was very intrigued in using photographs with rice- usually Ive been using objects, placed compositionally on a mark of rice to explore relationships and narrative in history. I like the idea of delicately placing a photograph/memory on a bed of rice..theres a fragility and delicateness about it that i want to exploit further. I guess with this work i am trying to move on from 'the journey' of moving from vietnam to the UK. The spontaneous and loose marks made in the boat series are now more static, confined and rigid..I wanted to explore life after the diaspora from vietnam, I felt that it was more about settling in and calling a new place such as the UK 'home', so i wanted confined and grounded panels of rice.  They also act as a 'frame' of past events, I wasn't sure how to present this..either panels in a horizontal line in which the viewer approaches and walks through linear, or like below. Theres a relationship between the lightness of the photograph on top of a weighted groundedness of the rice. These contrasting elements are definitely something i want to explore further.


I always was interested in making 'site specific' work which was rooted in a sense of home or place. For now, the composition above allows the viewer into a small intimate space in which they can discover the piece..possibly even crouch down and see detail in the photographs..I am interested in pushing the area of fragility further..hopefully i can find some sort of strength from this aspect. I am quite aware of the narrative of this piece, i wanted to mix it up a bit and so tried the below as well:


Heres some close up images. They were from a family trip to Los angeles. From this journey, I felt like it was the closest feeling i could get to being in vietnam. There was a little vietnamese city there, i was only 8 years old but it felt like a home away from home. Close ups are below and i'll leave it as that for now x




No comments:

Post a Comment